Subject: [Leica] AA and 35/120
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 16:28:47 -0700

> Ansel Adams wrote of an experiment he did with a 35mm camera.  In his
> tests
> he could see evidence of camera shake all the way up to 1-250th of a
> second,
> with just a 50mm lens.

Ansel Adams used first a Bullseye Conterex, then a Leica R4. The R4 does
not have mirror lock up and is well known for vibration problems, I don't
know anything about the Conterex. Ansel used the slowest films and
sometimes filters, which always put him in the deadly speed range... 1/15,
1/8, 1/4, 1/2 sec. because he used mostly f/22, f/16, f/11 for large DOF.
So his 35mm escapades were not very satisfying.

Ansel also used a Hasselblad which does have MLU, which he used, and of
course, got exquisitely sharp photographs. After MLU in a Hasselblad 500C,
it's only a leaf shutter in the lens. Not much movement there. Especially
when locked onto a large wooden tripod.

For 'scape type work, MLU on an SLR is an image saver.

Jim