Subject: Re: [Leica] Sharpness and handholding (was leica report 70-180)
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 20:14:38 GMT

Quite right about the use of wide apertures!  Unless you need the depth of
field odds are your image sharpness will be better served by high shutter
speeds than stopping the lens down to its optimum aperture.

Ansel Adams wrote of an experiment he did with a 35mm camera.  In his tests
he could see evidence of camera shake all the way up to 1-250th of a second,
with just a 50mm lens.

Certainly this was with a really jumbo enlargement, way behond most of our
normal needs, but hey, if your going to chase the holy grail of sharpness
speed is the only way to go. (and just to head off a fire fight, no,
sharpness is not everything)

It is certainly an advantage to most Leica lenses that their wide aperture
performance allows for high quality results without stopping down.

Dan