Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: The Leicar
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@actek.com.au>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 00:16:48 +1000

Malcolm McCullough wrote:

> >>Has anyone seen the information below?  Is it a hoax?
> >>
> >><http://www.f32.com/Articles/art004.htm>
> >>

> There are more articles by the same author on the f32 website. Having read
> them, I cannot understand why some people are saying that the Leicar is a
> hoax - Heinz Richter is clearly someone who has close links with Leica. How
> else could he have obtained the unretouched photographs of elves working on
> the M5?
>
> I already have a Leicar M on order. I have been told that production has
> shifted from Zuffenhausen to Coventry (England) but the crates were already
> printed "Made in Germany". This has nothing to do with the Leicar M sharing
> the same cutting-edge1950's technology as the Land-Rover. Apparently the
> spin doctors ruled that German cars are too common whereas English cars
> have much more rarity value these days, unless they are Toyotas of course.
> They are right - here in Singapore there  are more BMs and Mercs than you
> can shake a stick at. I know - I've tried. My case comes up on Tuesday.
>
> By the way, although it isn't Friday yet, I have an M6K box for sale. As
> you all know, only 100,000 M6Ks were made and most of them were shipped in
> the correct box. Mine, however, came in a box marked "Philips Steam Iron,
> Made in Singapore". Any offers?
>
> Regards
> Malcolm
> Singapore

  Malcom,

I am really interested on your rare box. could you post some more specific
details about it. (e.g. how many sides it has, is the lid on the top or on the
bottom etc.)
I am thinking of getting rid of all my Leica equipment and changing over to box
collecting in big style. There  are enormous advantages, especially storage
wise. I heard one could store a smaller box within a bigger box. Wow...   You
could also drill a small hole in to the box and put a film in to it and you'll
have an auto focus camera.

Regards,
Horst Schmidt