Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: BOOWU-M copy stand
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@actek.com.au>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 14:04:38 +1000

apbc wrote:

> Alex Hurst wrote
>
> >1) Can anyone tell me what area(s) this device covers?
> 2) I'm planning to use my 50/2 Summicron on it. Is it only for 50mm
> lenses,
> or can one use others (such as a 35mm) as well?
> 3) Does anyone use one of these regularly, and are there any tips they
> might like to pass on?

Alex,

I use the BOOWU-M every now and then.

The unit consists of 4 legs and 3 Heads, which work as extension tubes. The 3
heads are for A6, A5 and A4 type Paper. This are the sizes you can copy.
Screw the legs in to the appropriate head. For A4, the legs are fully
extended. There are white marks and you feel a click when they are at the
right position. For A5, use the middle position and for A6, the shortest
extension.
A6 is about equivalent to the post card size and A4 roughly to the American
Quarto size.

Now to the lenses you can use:  It will accept all 50mm screw mount lenses,
except the Summarit.  It will also accept the following M-lenses: Elmar 50mm
f3.5 and f2.8, The collapsible Summicron and the earlier fixed Summicron via
an adapter.
The lenses have to be fully collapsed. When they are collapsed you find on
the end of the inner tube a bayonet. This fits in to the appropriate head.
The receptacle for the bayonet is spring loaded. You push in a bit, and then
twist to the right.

The 50mm rigid Summicron, has a lens head which unscrews and the head screws
in to a small adapter with a screw thread on one end and a bayonet on the
other. The whole lot goes in to the head.

The bottom end of the legs act as boundaries. You can use the BOOWU-M also
for normal close ups. Use the head and leg extension to suit what you want to
photograph close up, then moove with the whole contraption, camera and all to
the object. the end of the legs will give you the borders.  It is best to use
about F8 or smaller, because the depth of field is very  shallow.
The best lenses to use, are the Elmars.

I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions, just ask

Regards horst Schmidt.