Subject: Re: [Leica] VOTE
From: Mikiro Mori <arbos@silva.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 23:45:09 +0200

>Other than just plain rude people, some replies are just a result of the
>international flavour of the Internet.  I think a lot gets lost in the
>translation.  Many languages do not have the niceties of the English
>language.  An example I was give one while in Germany was how rude their
>people could seem if you used literal translation of otherwise proper
>conversations.  For example a German literally says "Give me beer."  when
>he orders a beer rather than "Can I have a beer please?".  We have people
>on our list to which English is not their primary language and as a result,
>they sometimes come across as rude or pompous because of poor translation
>of what they mean to say.  On the other hand, people who have English as a
>mother tongue, have no excuse for being rude as you described.

Robert, I beg to differ.  I do not think that it is a problem ONLY with
languages.  It is a problem with personal characters aggravated probably by
non-face-to-face communication.  We can FEEL politeness even in poor use of
languages.   At least I hope so.  I am very sorry if I am not polite with my
English which is not my primary language.

Leicalement,

Mikiro Mori
Strasbourg, Europe
http://members.tripod.com/arbos3/cigogne/index.html