Subject: RE: [Leica] M6 flash solution (long)
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 22:54:32 -0700

Hi Carl,
I haven't tried this flash off-camera, but there's no reason why it
shouldn't work just fine.  I haven't seen a 283 in a very long time, so
don't know if the hot shoe can be replaced.  You'd have to have both in hand
and take a look.  But the hot show replacement isn't as necessary for the
2800 as it is for the 283, because the 2800 is so small and light.

The 2800 is a dirt-simple auto thyristor flash circa 1978.  You don't need a
dedicated synch cord.  Just get a generic one with a female hot shoe fitting
on one end, and a male on the other.  Bet you can find one at your local
camera store for les than $10.

I can see how you'd want to look for an alternative to the 283.  The 2800 is
better matched to the M6 since it is so light.  Again, it's not a very
flexible set up, so I expect to use it mostly for lightweight travel where
everything must fit into a Domke camera satchel.  I would think that, for
events, or fast-paced reportage, you'd be better off with an EOS, Nikon, or
R8.

- --Jim

Jim,

Any experience yet using this off camera with extension synch cord and
hand holding it for directional flash fill? Also, do you think it's
possible to replace the hot shoe with the aluminum shoe that's available
as a replacement shoe for the Vivitar 283? I've been trying to
standardize all my flash synchs with household fittings rather than
dedicated cords so the last thing I need is another set of different
cords.

Your experiences interest me and this sounds like a nicely balanced
alternative to using the 283 mounted on a Leica. Yeah, I know, sacrilege
and all that using a flash on a Leica. But, sometimes for some of the
event photography I do, it's just nice and easier to zone focus at 6
feet at f 8.0 with a 35mm in a virtually dark room and know you'll have
the pic.
- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/