Subject: RE: [Leica] 90 Tele-elmarit vs. Current Elmarit?
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 09:44:50 -0400

- ------ =_NextPart_001_01BE9AEB.46DCC350

	For my purposes, shooting fast in available light, prints up to 20
inches wide, the "skinny" Tele-Elmarit has proven to be a very fine lens,
indeed.  I very rarely-- make that never-- shoot under the ideal conditions
whereby the differences between the skinny and later versions of the lens
will tell.  Another aspect of the older lens that I like is the reversible,
clip-on shade.  More than once I've given the lens a very hard bump and the
shade has absorbed the blow by being knocked off.  I carry the lens in an
old leather pouch with the shade reversed and it slips into a suit pocket.
I have never checked, but it is possible that this lens is Canadian made, as
is my other favorite, the pre-aspheric 35 summicron.

	I have compared the "skinny" Tele-Elmarit to later generation
lenses.  Looking at prints, big prints, I for one have not detected any
improvement in the newer lenses WHEN SHOOTING HAND HELD. But then, I also
tend to be casual about exposure measurement and focus, too, so I am perhaps
not the best person from whom to seek judgement.  I just take pictures and
the pictures I take with the elder Tele-Elmarit are technically what I want
from my Leica; small, light, rugged, durable, and producing a fine image.
Stop by some time, I live ten minutes from Boston (but don't get to
Worcester too often since they closed the old Maury's), and I'll show you
the prints the prove my suppositions.

		Buzz Hausner

> After the glowing praises of the 90-M Elmarit sung here in recent days
> (in the 90 ASPH Summicron thread), I am given pause to wonder about
> performance differences between that Elmarit and my late-80's
> Tele-Elmarit.
>
> I prize the petite profile and svelte weight of the tele-elmarit but if
> there would be significant differences in my photography as a result of
> using the current 90 Elmarit, I'd be willing to use the slightly larger
> and heavier lens.
>
> Any (informed) comparative observations regarding these two lenses?
>
>   rwyble@erols.com                  Worcester, Massachusetts
>   Richard J. Wyble

- ------ =_NextPart_001_01BE9AEB.46DCC350

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.0.1460.9">
<TITLE>RE: [Leica] 90 Tele-elmarit vs. Current Elmarit?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<UL>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">For my =
purposes, shooting fast in available light, prints up to 20 inches =
wide, the &quot;skinny&quot; Tele-Elmarit has proven to be a very fine =
lens, indeed.&nbsp; I very rarely-- make that never-- shoot under the =
ideal conditions whereby the differences between the skinny and later =
versions of the lens will tell.&nbsp; Another aspect of the older lens =
that I like is the reversible, clip-on shade.&nbsp; More than once I've =
given the lens a very hard bump and the shade has absorbed the blow by =
being knocked off.&nbsp; I carry the lens in an old leather pouch with =
the shade reversed and it slips into a suit pocket.&nbsp; I have never =
checked, but it is possible that this lens is Canadian made, as is my =
other favorite, the pre-aspheric 35 summicron.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">I have =
compared the &quot;skinny&quot; Tele-Elmarit to later generation =
lenses.&nbsp; Looking at prints, big prints, I for one have not =
detected any improvement in the newer lenses WHEN SHOOTING HAND HELD. =
But then, I also tend to be casual about exposure measurement and =
focus, too, so I am perhaps not the best person from whom to seek =
judgement.&nbsp; I just take pictures and the pictures I take with the =
elder Tele-Elmarit are technically what I want from my Leica; small, =
light, rugged, durable, and producing a fine image.&nbsp; Stop by some =
time, I live ten minutes from Boston (but don't get to Worcester too =
often since they closed the old Maury's), and I'll show you the prints =
the prove my suppositions.</FONT></P>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" =
SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">Buzz Hausner</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">After the glowing =
praises of the 90-M Elmarit sung here in recent days</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">(in the 90 ASPH =
Summicron thread), I am given pause to wonder about</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">performance =
differences between that Elmarit and my late-80's</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">Tele-Elmarit.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I prize the petite =
profile and svelte weight of the tele-elmarit but if</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">there would be =
significant differences in my photography as a result of</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">using the current =
90 Elmarit, I'd be willing to use the slightly larger</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">and heavier =
lens.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Any (informed) =
comparative observations regarding these two lenses?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp; =
rwyble@erols.com&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Worcester, =
Massachusetts</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp; Richard J. =
Wyble</FONT>
</P>
</UL>
</BODY>