Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 mm APO-ASPH M
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 01:08:01 EDT

Hi Everyone,

Perhaps I can settle the issue of where the 90 APO ASPH is manufactured.  The
preproduction examples shown at Photokina were made in Canada.  I was
surprised to see this, as everyone knows, the Midland plant is no longer
owned by Leica.  The 90 has a much larger diameter aspherical lens element
than all of the other ASPH lenses.  This requires a different manufacturing
technique than the press forming method used in the smaller diameter
elements.  Midland made a successful bid to manufacture the new lens.
Apparently, production started in Canada, but difficulties (?) of some type
arose and there was some friction between Midland and Solms.  At some point
the decision was made to shift production to Solms.  So now we have a
situation where some lenses were made in Canada and released for sale, but
now that production has been shifted to Solms, the lens is now German.  And
we now apparently have German lenses in boxes marked Canada.  Seems like
fertile ground for new instant collectibles!

BTW, I also heard that one of the preproduction 90 ASPH's was stolen from
Leica at Photokina!

Bill Rosauer