Subject: [Leica] Re: Canadian/German Quality Control
From: sandyquandt@centuryinter.net
Date: Sun, 09 May 99 01:29:30 GMT

Hello!

For what it's worth, I think Joseph has the right idea...inspect the equipment
before you buy, and if it doesn't meet your standards, ask for another. I love
my Canadian-made Noctilux on my German-made M6HM and really don't give two
hoots about the countries of origin, since the combination allows me to create
shots that meet my standards. Thanks to advice from LUG members, I finally
recognized my only "out of the box" problem in one piece of (German made) Leica
equipment; a maladjusted vertical alignment in my relatively new M6 that, at
the time of purchase, I did not have the expertise to recognize by testing in
the store. (I just thought Leicas were tougher to focus than my AF SLR; then
Walt set me straight :-) The adjustment was made by Leica NJ (covered by
warranty) with a 10 day turn-around time, and I'm once again, a satisfied
photographer. Thanks to the LUG, I now have a better understanding of how to
test a lens/body before I buy, so that, regardless of country of origin, I'll
know whether the piece of equipment is one I wish to keep.

Regards,
Sandy