Subject: Re: [Leica] R-E, Forte papers
From: "Bruce Feldman" <brucef@ti.cz>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 21:01:29 +0200

Ian,

It's been a couple of years since I first asked *you* about where to get
stuff when I arrived in Bangkok.  That was before I spent a year and a half
there (I left last October).  Let me see if I can belatedly return the favor
by mentioning some shops which you might not have come across yet on this
trip.  There's
now more than Forte available.  But if you want it, there's a good shop in
Yawarat (Chinatown)  that sells the Forte paper at the best prices I'd found
(If my notes are correct, the name of the shop is "APS Ltd.," 563 Charoen
Krung (623-0761).  I got most of my darkroom supplies from them, and my
Opemus 6 enlarger.  Since I'm not nearly the darkroom guru that you are,
though, all I can really tell you is that the heavyweight cold-tone paper
gave me acceptable work prints when dunked in Dektol.  They didn't have any
warm-tone at that time.  Stay away from the medium-weight stuff; it curls up
like crazy in the Bangkok steambath weather.  Also remember that the Forte
papers are graded differently from others; ie, the "2" is really a "1", or
is it the reverse??  Just ask the young guy which it is; he's pretty helpful
and fairly knowledgeable.  Once he knows you're a player, he will also give
you a packet of samples of the different grades which you can take home and
try; again, just ask.  There was no variable contrast paper there.

There are several other mom-and-pop photo equipment shops in Chinatown on
Charoen Krung within a half-mile of each other; some have darkroom supplies.
It's mostly the same stuff and, strangely, higher priced than the
aforementioned larger shop, APS Ltd., which, I now remember, is nearest the
traffic circle at the entrance of Chinatown.  Still they have some things
unavailable anywhere else.  One such shop I had a note for is "Shine Photo
Supply," 461 Charoen Krung (222-2542).

You might also check out what's known as "Thieves Market" toward the other
end of Yawarat.  It's a sardine-packed maize of stalls and shops.  It's
mostly full of junk, but occasionally I've heard of a find or two (never
happened to me, though).

You're the one who told me about Nava Importers on Silom Rd., toward the
river, and I managed to find some T-Max developer and Dektol there, but no
papers.  The middle-aged Chinese woman who now runs the place speaks
impecable English and is very nice.  She will also order stuff if asked.
They also still have some 2nd-hand LF stuff and other trade ins, and a range
of Tetanol chemistry and not much else.  It's a wonder how they stay in
business.  Off of that same street, Silom Rd., though, toward Siam Center
and just up the street from Patpong, is an indoor shopping mall in the
Thaniya Bldg.  It's on the soi (side street) that's full of Japanese-only
hostess bars.  On the second floor is your local Leica shop, called, if my
notes are correct, Foto Hobby (231-2143).  They also had films and some
papers, if my memory serves me.  And next-door to is a pretty good 2nd-hand
camera shop selling mostly MF stuff but also some used Leica and other 35mm
equipment.

Other places to check out:  the camera shop on the first floor of
Mahboonkrong Center, near Siam Square.  Lots of films and some Leica there,
but all at tourist prices.  Also, Chai Photo Supply, Ltd., New Road
(222-3185).

The good news is that you can buy directly from Kodak (if you can afford
it! -- the prices are much higher than the Eastern European stuff).  Their
complex is located on Vibhavadee Rd., on the way to the airport.  Make sure
you go to Bldg. "B".  I got their email address from the Kodak website and
corresponded with their local Thai manager who faxed me an inventory and
pricelist.  I wish I had kept that stuff.  The Kodak website ought to be
able to give you his phone number and email address.

Ilford also has a presence in Bangkok.  I found chemicals and papers on
Petchburi Road on the way to Ramkamhaeng.  For the life of me, though, I
can't remember the name of the building.  Let me think... something like
Charn Isara II (Charn Isara I is right near Robinson's at the beginning of
Silom Rd., so whatever the name of that is, the one on Petchburi is the same
name, numbered "II".  On the second floor is a guy who does portraits and
has the Ilford concession on the side.  High prices, but he has Multigrade
IV.

This is more than you asked for but I hope it helps, and maybe others going
to Bangkok will find it useful.

Regards,

Bruce Feldman
Prague