Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V8 #71
From: getrichkwik@webtv.net (ED Cherney)
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 11:44:53 -0400 (EDT)

To: Allan Jay Silver...
You wrote...
- ----
From: allan jay silver <silver@proaxis.com>
Subject: [Leica] AF
                 Mark Rabiner wrote:
Take our a tape measure and lay out 4 feet. Now set your camera at 4
feet with a 35 or 28 or 24 lens. Now walk around the house or studio and
when you get 4 feet from things hit the shutter.
I leant this while in London: My feet move much faster than my focusing
ring! ;)
 ----->>          Do you people remember years ago
when flash units were rated by Guide numbers? There was no TTL metering.
We often did the same thing that Mark Rabiner suggested. If the GN was
48, for example, I would set the f-stop at f8 and set the distance on
the camera lens to 6 feet. Always making sure we were 6 ft. away when
snapping the shutter. In those days we had to be inventive.
Allan
- ----
Hi Allan...
Yes...I certainly do remember the "good-ole-daze" of Flashbulb
Photography...using Guide Numbers...with my beloved 4x5 Speed
Graphic...because I "still do that".

Actually...I've got 8-full-cases of "WABASH" (before they became
Sylvania) Press 40B bulbs...(now...don't ask which rock and cave I
crawled out from under...hah).

I'm just coming out of retirement and re-discovered photography...with
the same thrill and joy I did as a 9-year-ole-kid...with a big
difference, I now see.

It's no-longer like developing a roll of
116 Orthochromatic film under a red lamp bulb in the bathroom...by the
see-saw method in a 5x7 tray.

What I see now, is...I have a choice...either get a Leica camera and
lens...or use the money to buy a new car. ...hah.

[Sidenote: Might I ask you Ladies & Gents a teeny-tiny favor?...When you
mention "meters"...could you also translate that into "feet" as well?
(i.e. "xx-meters" / "xx-feet") for us dimwits in the audience?
My Bee-bee-brain never did learn "meters"...and the US school system
gave up teaching that idea after 15 years of trying to force it down our
throats...hah...Thanks Folks...luv-ya-all!]...ED.