Subject: Re: [Leica] EFKE 100 film in HC-110
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 13:50:07 -0700

DonjR43198@aol.com wrote:

> The recommendation of Xtol for developing EFKE 100 was interesting.  In your
> developing and printing experience, what advantage, if any, does Xtol have
> over the other developers mentioned?

As we are talking Kodak, Xtol will be everywhere so there is the
availability factor. It is the Developer Kodak is recommending you use
with T max films so can get some at the Plaid Pantry at 3 AM. There
seems to be a huge consensus that this stuff is the greatest new thing
since roll film but I have not as yet seen the 16 by 20's on the wall
side by side to prove its value over Buetlers. Buetlers is no sweat to
mix so if Xtol doesn't pan out I'll gladly flush it down the toilet with
the other developer. It does sound in the book and I've seen a
photographer friends 8 by 10's real promising. It's taking a lot to get
me of Rodinal. That fact that I can only get locally the very small
bottles helps. Interestingly the toxic aspect it says in the book might
not be the case. Ascorbic acid and Phenidone was oversold as being
benign in that department so don't be dipping your hands in it all the
time or think its kool aid.
But I'm putting most of my eggs in this basket.
I realize that my whole post here is weakened by that fact that you are
asking for "developing and printing experience" and I'm well read but on
square one with the stuff. As far as printing goes Xtol is a neg not
print developer but printing with Ascorbic acid derivatives is the thing
behind the new Neutol that you get from Agfa which could be great stuff
to replace Dektol. I think of it as Xtol for prints.
Mark Rabiner
D Khong says you can't get Xtol in Singapore yet!