Subject: RE: [Leica] art, manual focus & other misunderstanding
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 08:46:05 +0200

Dan,

Sure wish I would be capable of coming out one day with one picture that
could convey a tenth of the feelings, atmosphere, sentiments and sense of
time and place that ooze out of Doisneau's work. BTW, the majority of his
images are NOT 'staged' in the way it has been insinuated by someone here:
very few of them have used models, most portray the people of Paris and its
suburbs in the richest possible way. He has been defined by some critics as
the most illustruous representative of photographic humanism in France.

It is crazy, pretentious and ridiculous to deny the great  artistic
dimension of his work. It is just as ridiculous to refuse to recognise the
testimonial value of his images.

I do not give a damn if some pictures are staged or not, as long as the
staged ones are not used by newspapers as factual reports about a news
event.

Anyway, and this is not related to the concept of 'art', from my personal
point of view, 99 pct of 'photojournalism' pictures already carry a degree
of 'staging' from the very moment a photographer appears on the scene of
any event. The presence of the photographer, even if noticed only by a few
persons, changes behaviours and attitudes. The subjectivity of the choices
of angle of view, point of view, cropping, exposure settings and even film,
add many other levels of 'manipulation' that contribute in 'staging' the
representation of an event. Asking a person to repeat a gesture or to place
himself/herself in a certain way for composition sake is yet another level
of staging, that I consider perfectly acceptable. The only levels of
'staging' that I find not acceptable in photojournalism are the ones
deliberately organising an event, in the full sense of the word, that would
not have happened without the photographer or that would have been
substantially different without the photographer , and then selling the
pictures as objective testimonials with untrue explanatory captions. But
even in this scenario, there are plenty of nuances.... There is no such
thing as 100pct 'pure' photojournalism, except in the idealistic theories
of a few ayatollahs.

Alan