Subject: Re: [Leica] {Leica} Rumor mill working overtime!
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 13:23:27 -0700

"Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" wrote:

> What else would someone say about something they don't have?  Mr. Cohn may
> have doubts but the AF manufacturers have the market he wants and the
> product he should have.
>
> Peter K

Not wanting to be fired his first week on the job! What would it do to
existing R sales if he started hinting AF, changing the mount etc. A
major PR disaster. Frozen R sales untill the thing is unvailed.
Leica is seen-  perceived and IS a conservative company in terms of its
camera design: The Leica M.
The fact that the R system is manual focus is not a jarring surprise. It
is what is expected from Leica. The public or its possible market area
is comfortable with that. If you get tired of AF and you just want the
highest quality glass you know where to go. For Leica to forsake it's R
system as it is and turn it over to Minolta would be a marketing and
public relations disaster. Many of us of high tech appetites would
immeadeatly yearn for the good old days when you could buy a good new
solid exquisite  Leica R Optic and the camera to go with it. Not
changing the mount like Nikon did could get around some of this as my
sole AF body has an old Nikkor lens on it sitting across the room as I type.
What was the question?
Mark Rabiner