Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica R9 err...Minolta 9 ;-) OFF TOPIC
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 17:43:06 +0200

On mercredi 5 mai 1999 16:09, Eric Welch [SMTP:ewelch@ponyexpress.net]
wrote:
> At 03:29 PM 5/5/99 +0200, you wrote:
> ...snip.... (the Minolta R9 rumour seems to have been deflated ;-)   )
> And don't criticize my communication skills. You're the one who acted
like
> Kansas is out in the middle of nowhere and couldn't possibly have any
> factual information to share.

I did not, my dear reader, I wrote :
QUOTE
"This R9 thing is just yet another rumour, up to now. Funny how these
things
build up from a casual, probably tongue in cheek, statement from an obscure
Kansas dealer who, in no way, has access to such strategic items of
information....snip...."
UNQUOTE

I wrote an 'obscure Kansas dealer', not a 'dealer from obscure Kansas'. And
even if that dealer was the largest dealer of NYC or Frankfurt, it would
still remain 'an obscure dealer', as opposed to 'an official Leica
spokesperson'. Unless that dealer has himself very reliable personal direct
contacts with informed Leica decision makers. In this latter case,  that
dealer would be crazy and suicidal if he made public statements as crucial
as the one you relayed here. For the reasons I argued, such a statement
translates into: "whatever you do, do not buy a R8 or R lenses, a Minolta 9
based AF Leica system is coming out soon".

On a personal level, I'm poisoned by your rumours (the Minolta one and ,
more generally, the AF one) to the point of having decided not to spend 1
more franc on my R system till Leica officially states what its eventual AF
strategy will be (what mount and what incompatibilities with current lines
mainly), if ever there is one. Isn't that paradoxal, my dear R fan ?

Get it ?