Subject: [Leica] New Web Page and Musings on Web Page Design
From: "Gareth Jolly" <garethjolly@bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 23:30:26 +1000

I've finally relaunched my web site, with a substantially increased number
of photos, comments on each, thumbnails and a bio (phew!).  It's at:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/garethjolly/

It's a bit untested yet, so error reports would be much appreciated.

I would greatly appreciate comments - in particular on the European shots.
I am struggling to get together the material for an exhibition.  The web
page only includes a small selection of the shots I'm considering - some
which I think are some of the best of the shots I returned with, others
which I've put on the page because I'm interested in people's reaction.  Is
there something that appeals to, captures your imagination in that shot?

Any feedback or criticism would be very valuable to me.

In redesigning the page, I took on board a number of comments from various
people.

A couple of thoughts.

I've added a thumbnail section.  But, I see the essential design of the site
as a gallery.  A gallery where you walk past each picture in turn, read
about it, think about it.  Perhaps comment on it.

Perhaps be directed to other photographs in the gallery, with related
themes.  (So, while you can start in the gallery at the entrance, you can
wander off if something appeals).

That is how the site works.  Three galleries starting with my first
photographs and working through to my last.  So, may be you can get some
idea of developing themes, knowledge etc.  Imaginatively titled, Early Work,
Europe and Recent Work.  (sorry, inspiration has to end somewhere).  One
photograph is displayed on screen at a time, with a commentary beside.  You
can go forward or back - or sometimes to a related photograph.  You can
comment on each photo.

See what you think.  There's a thumbnail section if you don't like it.

You might find it interesting starting with the Intro (there are cross links
in the intro to photos too), then working through the galleries
sequentially.  Leica photos are at the end, by the way.

Like Eric, I've been using Macromedia Dreamweaver - but I haven't mastered
the fancy bits.  It's a basically good program.

Unlike Eric, though, I have the 30 day free trial version. This has
certainly added an impetus to completing the site!

Unfortunately, in Australia, the full version is $580.  Compare Frontpage at
$200 or Frontpage Express as free.  Anybody know any cheap, good design
programs?

Finally, anybody know the HTML code for closing a window?  I can't seem to
manage it.

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
Gareth Jolly