Subject: RE: [Leica] Are leica users Luddites??
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 13:28:23 -0400

At 07:50 AM 5/4/99 -0700, Peter Kotsinadelis wrote:
>As I remember, and please
>correct me if I am wrong, Zeiss screwed up in the 35mm market because they
>refused to recognize that people did not want a shutter in every lens.
>Doing this made their lenses expensive heavy and slow.  Zeiss made some
>great glass, as Leica does, but sometimes that's not enough.

First, and this is important:  ZEISS IKON was NOT the Carl Zeiss lensworks.
 Separate companies, only loosely connected by a common ownership by an
educational foundation.

Second, Zeiss Ikon made the ultimate all-mechanical SLR in the Contarex,
and that assuredly has a FP shutter.  And the final production version of
the Contarex is the first entirely electronic camera, too.  Unfortunately,
the cameras were so amazingly well built that they just priced themselves
out of the market.

And the Icarex, though late, was another Zeiss Ikon FP camera which was
rather popular.

And the Contax RF, yet another FP design.

But the bread-and-butter camera which kept Zeiss Ikon afloat for twenty
years was the amazingly popular Contaflex, which DOES have a Compur
shutter.  But they sold all of these they could make, and made a profit on
the line.  It just wasn't enough to under-write the Contarex.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!