Subject: Re: [Leica] It's the lens, stupid.
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 12:45:04 -0700

Harrison McClary wrote:

> >AF turns serious photographic instruments into point and shoots.
> >Shooters do not have to learn the technique of zone focusing.
snip
> Mark,
>
> AF does not turn "serious photographic instruments into point and
> shoots".  Just because the camera is capable of predictive AF and capable
> of out focusing a good photographer a high percentage of the time in no
> way makes it easy to shoot sports with an AF system.
snip I am totally keyed
> into what I am shooting...total concentration on the image and action in
> the finder...keeping the focus on my subject is automatic and transparent
> to me.  With AF I would have to be aware on where the sensor is in
> relation to the subject and alter my composition accordingly.  Also would
snip
Harrison I have printed your post so I can reread it again as your
statements are more than interesting. Yes, I too have built in AF, it's
my left wrist, it gets me there just like my car gets me home. Those SLR
groundglass's just pop into focus all by themselves, we just watch in
amazement. Those micromotors you have to learn to outguess and there is
an art to that too.
Mark Rabiner