Subject: Re: [Leica] corporate strategy and info
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 10:55:20 +0200

Erwin,

I think this is an excellent discussion (both Alan's post and your reply). I agree
with you that no company can divulge its product development plans, and I do not
expect Leica to do that. Although many companies do provide a sense of strategic
direction to the marketplace.

However, I do think that Leica is missing out on an important source of direct
customer feedback if they are not monitoring the LUG. Yes, we probably overstate
our own importance, but nevertheless, Leica has here in effect a free focus group
which it should utilise. Getting feedback via distributors and dealers is fine
too, but this feedback is filtered and if the distributor is incompetent like the
one here in Belgium, then who knows what kind of feedback Leica is getting from
them. When we had our meeting with Leica at Photokina last year, I suggested to
one of the gentlemen there that they provide a vehicle for sending messages to
them directly from the web site; last time I visited, there was no such thing.
Similarly, the fact that the Leica Card (which must be a very profitable
programme) is only marketed in Germany is another indication that Leica is a
company with brilliant engineering but not so brilliant marketing.

Getting close to the customer is the mantra of modern business, with phrases such
as "customer segment of one" or "customer intimacy" abounding. Granted, part of it
is the usual consultant drivel, but clearly the ability to listen to the customers
(not dealers or distributors, but end users) and to act on that feedback is one of
the traits that differentiates successful companies from the losers.

Nathan

imxputs wrote, in part:

> It is not probable that the Lug should be the premium forum for Leica to
> listen to and it is also not probable that Leica's management should discuss
> future directions in public. Frst of all a strategic direction and future
> product plans are part of the company's intellectual assets and part of it
> would be jeopardized if the competition would know about it.
> We seem also to forget that Leica has a large knowledge base and close
> relationship with tens of thousands of their customers (a small fraction of
> which is on the Lug) through dealers and distributors. We seem to overestimate
> the importance of the virtual community that the Lug is  in relation to the
> direct and face to face contact with dealers and customers. Leica also has an
> extended network of all kinds of users and a large database of service and
> repairment actions.
> So be assured that Leica knows their markets and customers through all kinds
> of information and relations. The Lug while no doubt of some importance is not
> that  big or influential to get special treatment.
> We as the Lug should be a bit more modest about our influence and stature. My
> message was quite simple. The Lug is a consumer forum, not a market research
> item nor an advisory group for the Leica management.
> Let us continue in the good tradition of the Lug: helpful information about
> the use of Leica equipment
>
> Erwin

- --
Nathan Wajsman