Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica in big trouble? (relax)
From: "Ken Iisaka" <kiisaka@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 10:11:45 -0700

> I think we are all getting a little too worried..This company has been on
> and off the rocks for years.  My guess is the worst(best?)thing that could
> happen is purchase by one of the mega manufacturers.  The Leica name holds
> hell of a lot of good will, and the company would be a relatively small
> investment for the Nikons of the world.  Many other great names, including
> Jaguar have undergone such a fate, and most came out with stronger
products
> afterwards.  I really don't care WHO owns the company, as long as the
> PRODUCT survives.  I am guessing there are a number of companies who would
> like to make a product with 50 year old technology that can sell for over
> 2000.00!(M6)
>
> I think a company like Leica with a bankroll the size of Nikon's would
> produce some very interesting products.  (maybe even a proper motor
advance
> for the R8)

Not sure if Nikon is such a loaded company.  As far as I know, from its
annual reports in the recent years, Nikon has been in the red for many
years.  The camera division has been losing money for many years, and the
stepper division, which used to be profitable, is a big money-loser now, due
to the Asian economic crisis of the 1997, and increased competition.