Subject: [Leica] Re: 40 M-Rokkor questions
From: pcb@iac.co.jp (Paul C. Brodek)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 11:01:32 -0400

Hi Ben,

Like Jem, I don't have 35/2.0 Summicron specs in front of me.  The
Rokkor is, as I recall, a bit smaller, but not by much.  They are
fairly close in size.  I think the Rokkor is a bit lighter.  If you
leave you lens hoods on your lenses, the Summicron takes up more room
in a bag since its hood is not collapsible like the Rokkor.

The 40/2.0 brings up the 50mm frames.  On my M4-2, I can position the
frame selector lever in between the 35mm and 50mm position, showing
both frames at once.  When I'm shooting fast, I just make sure the
important stuff is withing the 50mm frame.  When I'm being more
leisurely, I'll jiggle the frame selector lever and compose for about
midway between the 35mm and 50mm frames.

The focusing helical issue Jem mentions is not an issue if you're
looking at an M-Rokkor, developed for the Minolta CLE, which has the
same focusing helical/cam as a standard M-mount Leica lens.  The
M-Rokkors (28/2.8, 40/2.0 and 90/4.0) are multi-coated and utilize the
Leica-M helical/cam.  They have serial numbers on the lens barrel
rather than the front element retaining ring, if you need help
identifying which version you're looking at.  Lots more info is
available on Stephen Gandy's CameraQuest site.

Regards,

PB

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 07:58:14 -0700, debugger <debugger@jps.net> wrote:

>I'm considering buying a 40 M-Rokkor and I have a couple of questions
>about it.
>
>1)  How does its size compare to the non-asph 35 summicron?
>2) Which framelines does it activate on a Leica M and what is it's
>actual coverage relative to the framelines?

Paul C. Brodek
Kobe, Japan
pcb@iac.co.jp