Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R camera?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:28:22 -0500

At 08:03 PM 4/28/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I am thinking of swapping my Eos1N
>setup and getting into a Leica SLR setup.I would appreciate any feedback or
>suggestions that any of my fellow Luggers might have.I am unfamiliar with any
>of the Leica R gear but would prefer an SLR with as simple of a setup as the
>M6.Thanx in advance...Jim Volkert

Jim,

Welcome to the world of the "Compleat Leica user." :-)

Bodies: R8 is the best, if you can live without the motor.

R7 is the next best.

R6.2 if you can live without automation and don't mind a bit less
consistent shutter for the ability to shoot without batteries. (You
planning a trip to Nepal?)

What kinds of lenses do you want. What kinds of shooting do you do? We'll
be glad to help when we have a better idea of what you want to do.

Here's my short list of ultimate Leica R lenses for the "dream system."

15 Super Elmar (or whatever it's called)
19 Elmarit R
28 Elmarit R
35 Summilux R
50 Summilux R
80 Summilux R
100 Apo Macro Elmarit R
70-180 Vario Apo Elmarit R (especially great lens!)
180 Apo Summicron
280 f/4 or the interchangeable Tele system.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

To iterate is human; to recurse, divine.