Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica quality MF system ?
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 06:33:09 +0000

>> D Khong wrote:
>
>>After much thought and pondering over this question, I think the best MF
>>camera would probably be a German Rollei TLR with 80/2.8 Planar lens which
>>has superb sharpness, nice contrast, and the focal length responsible for
>>80% of MF prize winning pictures.  Moreover, it is also light, rugged,
>>simple to use, easy to service, relatively cheaper to buy and if well taken
>>care of will last another lifetime.   The lack of interchangeable lens is
>>not really a great disadvantage when you consider that the "normal lens"
>>(just like the 50mm summicron on your leica) can be used to take a majority
>>of pics.

>snip
>
>Dan, I understand what you say.  The only MF camera I now keep is a
>Rolleicord Vb.  It is even smaller and lighter than 'flex 80/2.8's, and you
>cannot beat Xenar.  Shooting with a TLR differs from that with rangefinder
>cameras, though.
>
>Leicalement,
>
>Mikiro
>Strasbourg

They are smaller partly because they have less glass.  The Planars and the
Xenotars are better performers and this is evidently so in the edges of the
frame.  They have f2.8 apertures (compared to the relatively miniscule f3.5
of the Xenars/Tessars). In the days of max. ISO 100 film or so, that extra
stop would mean that you could still handhold the camera.

In terms of sharpness, the 3.5 Planars and Xenotars constructed those few
decades ago are legendary and, in my opinion, can still beat the pants off
many of the current modern lenses with their attractive MTF curves that
more or less cloud buyers' decisions these days.  Do I study those MTF
curves when I buy lenses?  No, I look at the pictures that they produce.
After using these classic beauties for some years now, I just love to see
those beautiful images that come out of my 1950 Rollei "box cameras."   My
friend with his Mamiya is continually green with envy.

Dan K.