Subject: [Leica] LTM Summicron 90/2 from the 50s, was: Advise on lens
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 15:12:33 +0200

For your information:

Here is the copy of a letter sent by Ernst Leitz Canada in
November 1989.
- --------
Dear Mr.

The Summicron f2/90 with the serial number quoted by you was sold
as a screw-mount version on February 27, 1959 to our parent
company Leitz Wetzlar. It is not possible to determine how the
bayonet was attached in your case.
Three methods were used at the time:
1. simply screwed on;
2. secured with Glyptal;
3. secured with a two component cement.
The later method was used mainly by our parent company and
nothing will dissolve this cement.

The second method was often used by us and Glyptal would
dissolve if pure alcohol is applied with a small syringe.
If no cement was used, a small piece of rubber may give you
sufficient grip to take the ring off.

Yours truly,

W.G. Kluck

This make me wondering if it's not also at Leitz Wetzlar
that the red dot was added to screw lenses made in Canada.
(To the despair of the collectors..)

Lucien