Subject: Re: [Leica] QC at Leica revisited
From: "Noel H. Charchuk" <nhcharch@calcna.ab.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 06:30:05 -0600 (MDT)

Erwin wrote:
I would say that many on this list have a quite unrealistic expectancy
level
of what QC means in a modern industrial environment. There is also the
psychological factor to assume that in the past everything  would have
been
better.

I would like to add to his excellent observations a thought on Quality
Management/Quality Control/Quality Assurance programs that have become the
buzzwords in various industries. Having been involved ina number of these
efforts professionally, I must say QM/QC/QA programs are more concerned
with the documentation of process, procedures, and procurement than they
are with the end product. We may well produce a faulty product, but we can
prove we were consistent in the production of it, and we have the
documents to back it up!!! I don't know if Leica QC has worked towards an
ISO 9000 certification, but I suspect some of the thinking exhibited in
this system may be reflected in some of the problems perceived by some in
the group.

Noel Charchuk