Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: polarizers
From: m037iu00@cwcom.net
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 13:08:52 +0100

Indeed, series 7 is the size for this lens, providing it's over serial # 2166700,
prior to that it took 41mm filters - a rare find.
However the series 7 filters are only fittable within the specific lens hood for
this lens, #12504, which opens in half and recieves the filter, a long process!
To make things more bearable the lens hood/filter holder also accepts 48mm
filters in the same place as they're a very similar size. Of course they're
pretty hard to find too!

What would be the reasoning behind Leitz making something common!

The greater problem comes with trying to use polarisers on this particular lens.
As the lens hood will rotate I would suggest Jim's technique of having two
filters, one to view through and the other mounted in the lens hood.
Corresponding marks on both filters should be made visible (perhaps a small dab
of white tippex on the edge of the filter ring) to enable similar registration.
E.g. If the best effect is with the viewing filter's alignment at '12 o'clock'
then set the filter in the lenshood to the same orientation, basic but it works.

Jem