Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Testing and grinding techniques at Solms
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 18:45:12 EDT

The following comment was made:

You should also tell the Lug membership that Leica Solms grinds lenses to an
accuracy of 1/10,000 of a mm which I was told far surpasses any other lens
manufacturer.

Paul T. Collura

I am not sure what is meant by "an accuracy of 1/10/000 of a mm" since that
could be surface finish, thickness, geometry, etc.  Also, it would be helpful
if we could convert that to inches since I am so old fashioned that inches
and fractions thereof are more easily understood and visualized.  If one
meter equals approximately 39.7 inches, then one millimeter must equal .0397
of one inch (39.7" divided by 1,000 = .0397") and one-tenthousandth of one
millimeter must equal .00000397 of one inch (.0397" divided by 10,000).  If
we are in agreement that "1/10,000 of a mm" equals approximately
four-millionths of one inch (.000004") , I am in full agreement that Leica is
capable of finishing lens elements to that tolerance relative to geometry,
finish, and thickness on a production basis, and has probably been doing so
for many years.

My confidence still lies with the Leica lenses when one wants the finest 35
mm image that may be captured on film and the latest generation of APO and
Aspheric lenses has only reinforced that opinion.  Until someone comes along
and shows by numbers or other objective criteria that the Leica glass has
been surpassed, my 35 mm camera bags will remain stocked with Leica lenses.

It is my recollection the famous H&W Control team were of the firm opinion
that the Leica lenses were tops.  That was about 15 years ago but it would
appear that Leica has continued its lens dominance and the new generation has
solidified that position.

In an effort to keep up with the state-of-the art in lenses, I have installed
a Durst L 1200 with point light source head and point light source condensers
for 35 mm, 2 1/4 sq. and the current Rodagon APO lenses.  Then using Tech Pan
and the old Willi Beutler developer formula, my neighbor's home becomes the
test target for new lenses and Hasselblad versus Leica lenses.  Leica
negatives are enlarged 16X and Hasselblad 8X to approximate 16X20 prints.
Now that Leica has brought on the APO and Aspheric lenses, the quest starts
anew.

Are we having fun yet?