Subject: [Leica] Leica Days and news about Leica and Konica Rangefinder, etc.
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 12:24:50 -0500

Okay, so the unsubstantiated claims of Leica cheapening parts to mollify
bean counters continues unabashed, with little basis in reality. Here's
some fresh air.

I attended the Leica days at C&J Photo in Overland Park, Kansas this
morning and gleaned a bunch of interesting info.

First: I played with the new modular system. The 280mm 2.8 head has too
wide a base. I don't like it. Makes focusing too hard. Way too substantial
for such a lens, for those who like to be on the move. Anyone photographing
on a tripod of non-moving subjects, no problem. I like the earlier 280 2.8
better. But the modular system is compelling for the combinations that can
be made. I guess I could get used to it.

The 180 f/2 Apo Summicron looks like the better solution for those who need
the speed and don't mind  using converters. Saw the 135 Apo. Seems pretty
sturdy to me. The M6TTL cameras feel bigger to me. I like the shutter speed
dial.

Okay, so here's the news part:

Leica did have a small batch of M6s go out with bad pressure plates. A VERY
small batch. Probably one worker wasn't doing an adequate job of polishing
the plate. That's all it takes to fix it. Polish it a bit. Unless they run
film through the cameras, and then process it and look for scratches, which
isn't likely, it would be easy to slip through, for a while. But they fixed
the problem.

As for Leica QC, they have a new guy, and he seems to be clamping down on
sloppiness. They said they think he used to run the Portugal plant. (Which
in the end brought us the R7, I might add - a superb camera, the best of
the R4 generation).

The new CEO is, in his own words, "lowering the lever." Maybe our European
friends can help us to understand this metaphor, but the Leica folks I
talked to there said, "They're putting pressure on middle management." When
they talked about the CEO's visit to Leica USA, their faces said it all.
Then they said, "Accountability is coming." People are going to be held
accountable for what happens.

Another change is that the marketing folks are going to be given the power
to make the engineers give them what they want. That means engineers can't
any longer say "That's how we've always done it, and we won't put all that
fancy new stuff in the cameras." Leica is now going to be more responsive
to customers wants and needs. They will listen.

So what's coming? The R8 motor drive will be here by August, or maybe
earlier. But the promise is no later than August. (So I ordered the battery
pack for the winder, go figure).

Another thing. There will be a Leica SLR AF camera. No firm date, but they
were guessing in two years. (Peter, that sets our bet date, no?) Not sure
who is going to be the partner. The reason? Leica knows that's what the
market wants, and they're going to get it. There are no plans for an AF
rangefinder.

90 Summicron ASPH  APO - they should start delivery any time. First ones in
a couple weeks. But, don't count your chickens yet. They are so back
ordered - hundreds or orders at Leica USA already paid for - that it will
take months as the first ones trickle in. Leica was taken completely by
surprise how popular this lens was going to be. Maybe this will teach them!

There is no limit on the production numbers of the 35-70 2.8 R lens.

Konica IS going to bring out an auto-exposure M mount body. This Leica rep.
I was talking to is also the Konica rep. He says the company has been
denying this camera exists because they wanted to bring them out in kits
only. Body and three lenses. Takes time to do that. But now they've decided
to sell bodies with no lenses. No sale date yet, but sounds like it will be
soon. It will have at least aperture preferred AE. Not much else info
- -wise. He says Leica has been pumping him for information, but he doesn't
know much about it yet. And he won't be their spy, but he'll tell them what
he can. Leica is interested in how this will play out, obviously. He also
says that Leica is going to have to update the M6, but the implication I
got was not incrementally. It's going to have to be a total overhaul. The
current body just doesn't work for a modern camera of the type people seem
to want.

Leica does have a pro service. They're sending me an application. :-) I'll
say more as it comes.

So, lots of interesting information. Hope it interests you all . Don't ask
for more details. I gave it all to you right here. For free.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Stack Overflow: Too many pancakes