Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 vs. 35
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 19:31:41 -0400

>Carlos Blanco wrote:
[ ... ]
>>     On one side, I would like the 90mm to take portraits, on the other I
>> think that 35mm is what M2 was made for and I consider that lens useful for
>> snapshots. I usually have to take photos with the camera placed on my waist
>> and I think a 35mm would be ideal.
>> carlos
	1/ if PORTRAITS really are what you have in mind,
	go for a longer focal, preferably in the 75 -90 mm range.

	BUT you'll have to adjust your shooting technique
	as it's basically unthinkable to shoot medium telephoto
	from the waist with a rangefinder camera.

	Just getting the framing right won't work other
	than shooting from eye level.
	If the view angle you get from waist level shots is
	what you like (and it's OFTEN better that way, I agree),
	you'll simply have to learn to get a stable position
	which probably would imply getting a knee to the
	ground and learn to control your breath and further stabilize
	while you compose and shoot.

	You'll also have to become far more aware of depth of
	field issues as this becomes a wonderful tool
	to help generate images with selective focus
	and very pleasant light effects where the various planes
	(foreground, main subject, background) take on
	added meaning, relative to shorter focals (50mm and below)
	where such effects are usually less spectacular.
	You'll LOVE the results you get, probably from your
	very first roll of film.

	A 135mm with a rangefinder gets somewhat more delicate
	to use. Not that i question the optical quality but the
	shooting technique is more involved. If $150, as another
	transaction indicated, that's another matter, but
	you may get more "mileage" from a 75mm - 90 mm focal
	and a less compressed image.

	Trust your luck and gerenally aim to get a 90mm model
	within the next month or two on the used market
	and you should be able to respect your budget
	and spend a wonderful LEICA Spring and Summer...

	2/ In YOUR case, considering your statement that
	portraits are what you have in mind and the fact
	you already own a 50mm lens, getting a 35mm lens
	(or a 24mm or a 28mm, which really are excellent
	alternate focals, with even more creative potential
	and wider system "spread" ("range") ) may be less
	exciting and would fail to deliver on your desire
	to develop your portrait abilities (and system
	capabilities, flowing that way).

	If you did not already own a 50mm, I'd probably
	have induced you to go for a 35mm (or 28mm)
	as it's an excellent creative tool and first rate
	focal choice for a one lens system.

	BUT a 50mm Summicron is beyond reproach,
	as an all-around focal and creative tool,
	and a 90mm will deliver what you are looking for.

	Later on, if you like, either a 24mm or 28mm
	would nicely complement your other two lenses
	with very solid creative potential. A 21mm I find
	to be more exotic, photo wise, and personally
	prefer a less "dramatic" image structure,
	yet, 21mm Leica owners are very special animals
	and many bring about magnificent images with these,
	both in black & white and color.

	I hope my comments are helpful and wish you
	hundreds, thousands of happy hours with your new lens.

	All the best !

	Andre Jean Quintal

   "I may have been born a reformer,
          I'll die a rebel."