Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Shutter accuracy?
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:47:27 EDT

Hi Jem,

I just talked to Don Goldberg (DAG) yesterday and I asked him if the extra
space was being utilized under the TTL top plate.  He told me that there is
an addtional circuit board in that space.  So it looks as if Leica really did
need the additional space under the top plate for the TTL, and not just to
allow room for future developments.
I have never seen pictures of the aborted M prototype camera from the 80's,
but have been told that the lens mount was bigger, but that current lenses
could have been mounted to the camera through adapters.  The idea of the
bigger mount was to allow for faster lenses to be designed for this new
camera.  The throat size of the current M mount was thought to be too small
to design higher speed lenses.  I think this was before the current lens
design team was in place, as there is supposedly a faster wide angle lens
coming.  Can't give more details, but obviously the current mount size has
not restricted its design.

Bill