Subject: Re: Re : RE: [Leica] compact camera.....point andshoot.....recommendations?
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:49:16 -0700

V8PWR@aol.com wrote:

> Francesco wrote :
>
> << > For an experienced Leica user who wants a P/S with high quality glass,
>  > what do you all recommend?  Konica Hexar with 35/2 lens, Leica Minilux
>  > with 40/2.4 lens, or Contax G2 with 45/2 lens?  Which will provide the
>  > best
>  > image quality for slides, and which offers the most user control, like an
>  > M6?
>  >
>  > Francesco >>
>
>  I think the one of choice is a Leica rangefinder , be it Thread mount or an
> M .
>  I'd be quite sick with a plastic AF .
>  Note that the new ELMAR 50 / 2.8 is not shorter than the SUMMICRON 35 / 2 .
>  They are of the same size when mounted on the body with no shade ,
>  considering the ELMAR is retracted . ( I own both )
>
> Regards . Jo Goodtimes

As the cameras mentioned above are about the same size as a Leica M or
certainly LTM I would second the motion.
The Ricoh GR1 someone on this tread mentioned is half the size perhaps
the category should be called Micro mini. In that category I have an
Olympus XA but my favorite is the non plastic Rollei 35 with 40mm 3.5
Tessar lens. The little thing is brick solid and the lens sticks out
between my third and forth fingers and retracts. Zone Focusing
particularly plausible with superfast films. Point and shoot.
Mark Rabiner