Subject: Re: [Leica] Advertising wars
From: "dan states" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 09:25:31 PDT

I would suspect that no camera manufacturer (except Zeiss) really
wants to get into an advertising war about who makes the "sharpest"
lens.  The reality is that many other manufacturers make products that
are of extremely high resolution, particularly when stopped down.  I
have only seen 1 add, from Zeiss, touting their lenses as the
"sharpest" you can buy.  As a Zeiss user I can tell you they are damn
sharp lenses, but you give up flare control, and introduce a noticable
measure of barrel distortion as a price. That would be a hard message
to get across to the "sharpness only" crowd.  (Not the mention that
whole "bokeh" thing).

In reality 99.9% of photographs are taken on film that can not resolve
detail as well as the lens on the camera.  Even "slow" films like
Tmax100 start to look crappy when compared with some really slow, and
generally difficult to use stuff like Tech Pan. I doubt many street
photographers and photojournalists are willing to go back to 25 speed
film just to get the maximum sharpness the format can product.  (most
would just go to 645 format and 400 speed)

As for quality control, I guess I don't see the problems that you do.
I have never purchased a new product from Leica that was not in
perfect working condition.  I have only had 1 minor shutter adjustment
made to my M6 in years of use.

It does not scratch film
It does not have a problem focusing at high aperatures
It does not have meter accuracy problems.....
My lenses all work perfectly.

Regarding testing the cameras, a visit to the factory will show that
they test ALL the cameras, not just a selective few.  It should be
noted that the LUG is a pretty picky group of folks....Sometimes we
see more problems than there actually are...myself included.

Finally, no manufacturer can be sure of what happens to their product
after it leaves their possesion.  I once visited a camera shop wher
they demo'd the construction quality of the M6 by having a "portly"
salesperson stand on it....

> [...]
>Leica USA at least select a certain number of samples from each
shipment and
>give the statistical sample a good examination for such items as
focusing
>mechanism, shutter specifications, pressure plate, winding mechanism,
and
>light meter or are the cameras just passed directly to the dealer and
then
>the customer?
>
>Someone posted a message advising that the great majority of Leica
"prints"
>are "scanned" rather than enlarger printed.  Could some of those who
are
>"scanning" their prints enlighten us in regard to the quality
provided by
>"scanning" versus prints from Tech Pan or Kodachrome negatives
enlarged using
>Focomats, Durst L1200's or other really good enlargers with APO
enlarging
>lenses.  It may be that "scanning" does not do justice to high
quality camera
>equipment so there is no need for Leica to provide equipment that so
awesome
>that prints and slides from Leica equipment is discernible with the
eye from
>the equipment of other manufacturers.  As I recall, during the early
60's
>Leica had a vision that photographers were becoming very lazy and
preferred
>to have the corner drug store process and print Kodacolor so the
resolution
>of the lenses was dropped to enable the contrast level to be
increased since
>contrast, not resolution, was the ticket for Kodacolor.  Maybe this
>cheapening of the manufacturing process is the natural progression of
this
>march toward mediocrity.
>
>The LUG net has also had some posts regarding the quality of Leica
brochures
>and other publicity photos.  One of the Leica M-6 brochures sent to
me
>contained only one photo that was photographically "sharp" while the
balance
>appeared to be nothing more than out-of-focus and blurred snapshots
that
>could be snapped with any of the current $50 throwaways.  From side-
by-side
>comparisons, we know the Leica rangefinder cameras and lenses are
capable of
>giving the 2 1/4 square cameras a run for their money if handled
properly
>both in the field and the resulting negatives properly processed and
printed.
> Why can't Leica Germany revise its marketing strategy to reflect
that which
>may be accomplished with a fine rangefinder camera and lenses?  If
Leica
>Germany cannot show why photographers may secure greater benefits
from Leica
>cameras and lenses than cameras and lenses costing many less, what is
the
>incentive for very many people to purchase their products?  Isn't it
possible
>for Leica Germany to ask Leica camera users to submit some really
sharp
>negatives or prints, if Leica German photographers cannot supply
them, for
>the purpose of showing what Leica cameras and lenses are capable of
>producing.  Hasselblad promotional literature just blows away the
stuff that
>Leica Germany distributes.  There is no reason that Leica Germany
cannot
>compete with that type of quality and thus indicate to the
prospective buyer
>there is a reason, indeed, to purchase Leica equipment.
>
>The answer may be there really is not a demand for really top quality
35 mm
>camera equipment in today's market and we are just beating a dead
horse.

>Further, it may be shortsighted of us to disparage those persons who
buy
>Leica cameras and lenses but only sit in a leather den chair and
fondle their
>expensive purchases.  I have a sneaking hunch that if it were not for
those
>persons who just like to own what they think is the best, there might
not be
>enough of a demand for the Leica product to keep the factory open in
Solms.