Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Shutter accuracy?
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 22:59:23 -0500 (CDT)

Ted, Ted,
I've corresponded with Wayne....now >IF< his measurements were
correct, (his methodology seems reasonable, if a bit unorthodox)
It's DAMN sure a photographic problem....shoot a Velvia slide
with even subjects tones at f8 -- then shoot one
at two thirds a stop over....there's a bunch of difference...
YES it's going to affect his photographic result, in some cases,
at those speeds....fortunately, a minor tweak of the (probably)
second curtain travel time (a 'non-invasive' adjustment, BTW)
will fix it....
It's my unscientific observation based on this group, my own
post-1975 leicas, and friends' cameras that a LARGE number of them
leave the factory ill-adjusted, and no, I don't find this acceptable
in a $2000 camera purchase....yes, they're easily 'fixed', yes,
they're great cameras for years afterwards, but for $2000 I expect
a salesman in a suit, coffee, possibly a cigar (I don't smoke
cigars), and a degree of ass-kissing like one gets with a
$50,000 car.  I.E., they should come to my damn house and
PICK UP the camera, with a loaner in hand.

I don't expect this on an EOS or a Toyota, but the high end audio
companies, car companies, etc, understand this necessity to
uphold their inflated market.....I just hope that my leicas
will be "supported" by Leica's successor.....unfortunately, I'll
probably to live to see it, based on their current QC.

If I can adjust the speeds with my 40 year old worn-out Bowens
machine, and the RFDR with a radio tower in the distance, to
tolerances FAR tighter than Leica, on camera after camera,
how in the hell can anyone continue to defend them?.....Hell yes,
the cameras "take pictures" just fine.....the RFDR is "close enough"
at commonly used apertures, and "most" of the scenes we shoot
won't show devastating effects from 2/3 stop shutter "wedging"....
but why not use a beater HI-MATIC?....you won't see the "difference"
anyway.

Now I know that most of the list and non-list leica owners are
affluent brats who fondle their cameras in leather arm chairs
in their den, then dust them and put them back in the safe.  I
know that they nitpick every body and lens with a goddamn loupe,
looking for "flaws"....I've dealt with them for years (thank
GOD that's in the past)....but don't these people DESERVE the
best for their dollar? even if it'd be better spent on PROZAC?
Or charity?.....it's THEIR $2000++.....THEY thought they were
buying the best....if not for the 'right' reasons....

When MOST of the Pentax K1000s put MOST of the Ms to shame
out of the box, with regards to finish assembly and speeds,
perhaps these anal-retentives have a point.....and if
they're not happy, and don't buy and trade Leica constantly,
where am I going to get my next mint/misadjusted/but fingerprint-
free M6? :) :) :) :)

Best as always,
time for my pill,
Walt