Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Shutter accuracy?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 19:46:51 -0700

Wayne wrote:

<<<<>Hi, I'm very new to this group. I hope this is an appropriate question
>for this list? I recently bought a new M6, today actually. I was
>checking the shutter speed at 1/1000 and found starting speed was
>around 1100uSec and the ending speed was around 700uSec. That means
>there is about 2/3's of a stop difference across the film.>>>>>

Wayne mon ami,  (just in case,  my friend,)

But how were the pictures you took?  I don't see anything here about how
pleased or not with the quality of the lens or the feel of the camera.:)
Did you really buy this M6 to take pictures or play techie stuff with and
totally unnerve the LUG with the posted timing question?

Quite frankly don't waste your time with this tiddly winks technical stuff
that really dosn't have any relevance to wonderful Leica pictures. However,
if you are into the dinky toy stuff of numbers, I imagine you could be onto
an amazing new complaint situation leading hundreds of Leica camera owners
rushing to  having their cameras tested for equal timing opportunity. :)

Which of course I don't believe HCB or Capa or the other greats ever
thought of nor considered in their every day picture taking. How about you?

Given the politically correct life style of the day, I must add that, "just
maybe you have discovered why many of us Leica users have been cheated of
greatness because the Leica shutter curtain didn't travel in a manner not
quite correct inrelation to the highly technical manner in which you
tested! :)

Damn I'm really going to quite! :)

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant