Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens cleaning & alcohol?
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 12:34:24 -0500

>My questions remain unaddressed.
  >Richard J. Wyble

PLEASE, no flames for any of this, its just how I do it.:)

The alcohol you want is the other alcohol (not the one you drink!)

As to cleaners and methods, I like Kodak used with their tissues.
Straight alcohol should be fine too I guess. You'll also want some kind
of little blower brush. Keep it and your cleaner and tissues in a plastic
bag to keep it clean and to keep it from wetting anything if it leaks.
Then use this blower brush only for your lens cleaning. I carry this kit
with me all the time although I almost never use it. I have one bottle of
Kodak that is 15 years old and still about half full. I guess I think I'm
might get a big ole fried chicken fingerprint on the glass while I'm out!

Put the cleaner (only one small drop) on a tissue and then clean the lens
very gently AFTER blowing off any dust. Don't puddle it up on the lens,
use very little liquid.

I clean my lenses only when they really need it. Often that can be just
when I get a used or old one thats dirty.  Some of my stuff has not been
cleaned in years!

I use UV filters most of the time when its rough and tumble so I don't
have to clean the lens much if ever. If you do something critical just
take'em off.

I do have to clean the filters from time to time. Do it the same as you
would the lens. The good part here is that if you mess it up its not
nearly so bad to replace.

A little dust can be blown off, don't rub.
A lot of dust I vacuum off if possible, then stop, no rubbing!

A speck or two of dust really won't cause you any trouble unless you
grind it into the coating or glass!

Henry Ambrose