Subject: Re: [Leica] QC
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 09:12:05 EDT

In a message dated 4/17/99 6:44:08 AM Central Daylight Time,
dalmy@mindspring.com writes:

<< And having received perhaps 90,000+ Lug messages over the last three
 years, why is this only the first time we have addressed the scratching
 pressure plate epidemic? >>

Could be the failure to have addressed this issue earlier is that users did
not notice the problem until recently.  I am fairly picky about mechanical
items having manufactured tungsten carbide dies over the years that had
tolerances and finishes that had to be measured in the low millionths of one
inch and it did not occur to me to check the pressure plate in the M-6 that I
purchased new in a sealed box in October 1998 until the issue was raised a
few weeks ago.  I had used the M-3's since 1957 and made mostly 16" X 20"
prints and was lulled into a false sense of security that there could be
nothing wrong.  I am indebted to the sharp eyed LUG members who noticed the
problem and brought it to the attention of fellow M-6 users so remedial
action could be taken before priceless negatives were ruined.  I merely
replaced the M-6 pressure plate with an M-3 pressure plate that I had
purchased in 1988 should an old M-3 that I had picked up really need a
replacement since pressure plates are easier to buy from Leica than build.
That is, if the pressure plate is properly finished.  The first roll of
Kodachrome 25 was not scratched after the replacement and I will carefully
watch it since a scratch in the pressure plate may collect minute amounts of
material too small to see with the naked eye at first but later accumulate
enough to begin doing damage to the film.

I hope you are right that the problem is not wide spread but now M-6 users
are alerted to the potential problem and remedy it if they do not stick their
head in the sand.