Subject: Re: [Leica] X-ray
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 12:20:36 -0700

Gareth wrote:

>This email has reminded me.  I came across an email on another list
>concerning 'Kodak's bulletin on new airport x-ray machines and film
>fogging'.  See
>
>http://rebecca.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=000PTk
>
>The thread refers to:
>
>1.  new hand luggage x ray machines which can fog film on one pass through.
>They work by using a low intensity x ray across the luggage, then - if the
>machine's computer thinks there is something suspicious - use a high
>intensity x ray directed at the offending item.  If that happens to include
>your film, it's cactus.
>
>2.  The US FAA regulation giving photographers a right to hand inspection of
>film.
>
>Any one know of any similar regulations in other countries?
>
>Incidentally, I use a plastic bag with the films out of the cannisters and
>film leader protruding but I keep the plastic bag in a lead bag just in case
>there is any difficulty and I need put my film through the machine.

I believe this refers to _checked_ luggage scanners, not carry-on scanners.
BTW, many lead lined bags are not proof against this higher blast of
x-rays, as they can penetrate a fair bit of lead foil. Carry your film with
you.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com