Subject: Re: [Leica] X-ray
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 12:21:47 -0400

At 10:26 AM 4/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>If x ray will not detect plastic explosives why can I get a sensible hand
>check in the US.

Bill -There is nothing sensible, or consistent, about the security
procedures at US airports. I can get on the shuttle in Boston with two
fountain pens in my jacket pocket and a small pocket knife in my pants, and
go right through Xray without a peep. Coming home I may get stopped in
LaGuardia for having just a single pen.
I may put my briefcase and camera bag through in NY without a problem, and
in Boston they will insist that I open the camera bag and show them
everything in it....It all depends what semi-literate, semi-English
speaking, ill-educated, hourly worker is playing "security" guard on any
given day at any given airport.

Think about it....They take your rangefinder, look through the viewfinder,
and therefore think that is is "okay," when the damn thing could be loaded
with plastic explosive as there is no connection between the lens and the
viewfinder....Similarly, they look through the viewfinder of a NikonF5 or
Canon EOS and declare it "okay," when it could be nothing but a pile of
plastic explosive packed around a reflex housing.

None of it makes any sense.
B. D.