Subject: Re: [Leica] X-ray
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:54:55 +0200

I have to come to the defense of both security procedures and my currently
adopted country here. Just because you had an unpleasant experience at
Brussels airport, you plan to never visit Belgium? You are only cheating
yourself. If I avoided every place where I had been poorly treated by some
aiport or other official, then my travels would become very limited indeed...

More fundamentally, there are some conflicting priorities here. The Lockerbie
bombing is in the news right now, as the two suspects are about to be tried in
the Netherlands. I personally much prefer getting my film scanned to being
blown up by some idiot who thinks he is going to heaven in the process. Hand
inspection is nice but will not reveal plastic explosives disguised as film
canisters. And it also delays the security check and inconveniences the other
passengers.

Our pictures are important, sure, but there are things that are more
important...

Nathan

Bill Grimwood wrote:

> Recently on a trip to Italy I was very rudely treated by the inspection
> official in Brussells.  I had all my film out of the film canisters in two
> large plastic zip lock bags.  When I protested that I had ISO 3200 film I
> was allowed to get all the ISO 3200 out but the rest was X rayed.  The
> female inspector spoke perfect English and said I could throw my film in
> the garbage can, and pointed to it or have it  X rayed, the choice was
> mine.  Fortunately when I returned home I did not fly through Brussells.
>
> I never plan to visit Belgium again!!!!
>
> Bill Grimwood

- --
Nathan Wajsman