Subject: Re: [Leica] 75'lux focusing
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 18:32:01 -0700

Walter S Delesandri wrote:
>snip.but it confirmed
> what we leica users new 20 years ago -- empirically, of course...
> For example, I shoot a LOT with a 90 Summicron (old style/and current)
> I can hit 2 out of 3 on a good day, wide open, at less than 15 feet or
> so....wide open....but it's still a crap shoot at wider than
> f2.8 or 4....unless you're 40 feet, then no problem....portraits
> are a nightmare with a 90 f2 or 75 1.4 at 6-7 feet!
> snip
But Walt!
That was then this is now...
The age of the .85 screen to assuage those problems!
Erwin seems to love it but don't listen to me on that.
I'm never having problems with my 2.8 current and I use the .72. But
usually stopped down as you say. None of that being the exact issue at
hand of ultrafast wide open.
I was impressed by the Noct. Shot of a girl on a swing someone here had
with Agfapan 25 and each eyelash doing its own number and nothing else
in focus at dusk.
I think the rangfinders are pretty darn good, I just don't use that
corner of the camera for hammering.
Mark Rabiner