Subject: Re: [Leica] Etymologies
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:04:45 EDT

Not sure how "fascism" found its way into the LUG net or how it applies to
Leica cameras and their usage.  Sorry that I got in on this "fascism" thing
kinda late but here goes.

There seems to be some question as to what the word "fascism" means. My old
dictionary defines "fascism" as "1:the body of principles held by Fascisti 2:
a political philosophy movement, or regime that exalts nation and race and
stands for a centralized autocratic government head by a dictatorial leader,
severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of
opposition."

The same old dictionary then defines "Fascista" as "a member of an Italian
political organization under Mussolini governing Italy 1922-1943 according to
the principles of fascism."

I am not certain how these terms were applied to Leica fanciers but I will do
my best to follow the thread and learn its connotation regarding Leica
equipment and users.

For some reason, I get the feeling this term may be applied to the US
government since our government is centralized and confiscates about half of
what we earn under threat of imprisonment, and then gives that money to those
who didn't earn it, and those who question the dictatorial leader are
personally attacked by his henchmen.  I am not going to go into the
Yugoslavia thing where Americans are bombing Serbs and Albanians without even
a declaration of war.

I look forward to the continuing debate on "fascism" since it opens a whole
new insight relative to the Leica world!