Subject: Re: [Leica] Capa
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 16:42:37 -0400

I think you'll really enjoy it, Nathan....I must say that one of the thing
that struck me was that while there are some truly iconic images, there is
am amazing amount of essentially quite mediocre stuff...I think that what
we either do or ultimately will remember Capa for is having essentially
been the first "modern" combat photographer, the first to go to the front
with  a 35 mm camera - Leica, of course - that allowed him to really bring
the horror and experience of combat to those who would otherwise never know
what it was - just as Brady, with his enormous clunky equipment, brought
the aftermath of the carnage, and the portraits of the combatants, to the
home audience 75 years earlier.

The other thing Capa did, of course, was to set the standard for
courage/insanity(?) in terms of his willingness to risk, and ultimately
give his life to get his photos.....

B. D.