Subject: [Leica] OFF-TOPIC: Nova print processors
From: "Robert Rose" <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:38:30 -0700

I have the Nova 11x16 Quad and the 8x10 dual washer and 11x16 single washer.

I process all my LEICA photos in it.  (See, on topic.)

The first Quad unit I got had a defective heater.  The unit was not ready for US current, and arbitrarily would heat up to 200 degrees or so.  A replacement heater solved the problem.

This is a great way to process either B&W or color.  It takes up little space, and the chemicals last longer than you would expect.  Once I got it working and calibrated, the color chemicals stayed within .5 degree during any given session.  If there was a change in the ambient temperature, however, the unit needs to be reset.  B&W can be processed without heating.

Cleaning is not so easy (you need an aquarium brush), and you MUST have water in the reservoir or the heaters (like aquarium heaters) will crack.  Most of the money is in the heaters, by the way.  In order to fill the reservoir some water will dribble out of filler holes, so placement of the unit should take that into account.

Gentle agitation is a must or the print will get a surface marking.

It can even be automated!!  Once I place the print in the developer slot, I make my daughter rock the print back and forth and pull it to the next slot when the timer clicks.  Unless you can afford a roller processor, this is about as automatic as it gets.  :-)

Bob