Subject: Re: [Leica]metering middle grey
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 21:39:41 -0500

>And of course, all labs vary from day to day and hour to hour, so
>after you have done all those scientific tests and calibrations--snip
>and bracket.

Donal how true..it helps to find a lab that has a vested interest in
keeping their lines TIGHT. The lab I am currently using uses their
equipment for their own outputs more than doing photographers film.  They
are into the very high end of the digital realm and produce huge ciba
display outputs for everone from Disney to all of the record labels.  It
is VERY critical for them to have the lines tight.  If they are not they
loose a several hundered dollar output....I have had them tell me that
they are a little slow on film because the ph was off 1/2 percent or
something like that (still in spec for most labs, but the owner is super
critical)...I don't mind on most things as I know that my film has never
looked better.

Plus the owners are two of the nicest people I have ever worked with and
they just relocated to RIGHT next to my office...no more 30 mile drives
to the lab.  1/2 mile and I am there!

Oh and the CYA should be the FIRST thing taught in college...even before
basic B&W!

Best regards,
Harrison McClary
email: harrison@mcclary.net