Subject: Re: [Leica] Cops run amok
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 18:01:34 -0700

>>sounds like these people who were on their own
property were well with in these rights, not to mention a little thing
like, say, the first ammendment.<<

While I wholeheartedly sympathize, I'm not sure it's the First Amendment
that protects private individuals from taking a photograph, even from the
vantage point of their own property. They would either have to claim that
they were members of the "press" - difficult to do if the photos are for
their own private use - or that taking a photograph is a form of expressive
conduct and therefore qualifies for protection from government regulation as
speech. There are certainly other theories. Right to privacy, for instance.
Now, the right to privacy that is sometimes held to exist in the federal
constitution is rather nebulous, but many states, including California where
I live, provide for a right to privacy in their state constitutions. Don't
know about Ohio, though.

While not knowing anything about this Ohio incident other than what I read
by following Eric's reference, my guess would be that the police would argue
that the taking of photographs was somehow interfering with their ability to
investigate the accident, secure the scene or assist those involved.
Otherwise I can't image a District Attorney's Office agreeing to prosecute.
Courts give law enforcement tremendous latitude in these areas. (Not that I
necessarily agree).

Bryan