Subject: [Leica] Cameras as political tools?
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 10:36:41 -0000

Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca> wrote:

>Life is politics, cameras are political tools, pictures are political
statements....

That's an interesting personal viewpoint, but I wonder how widely
accepted it is?

Personally, I spent a fair bit of the easter weekend using my
non-politicals tool to take dozens of non-political pictures of my new
puppy playing in the garden, and taking dozens more of one of my
favourite subjects - my wife.

I was amused by Marc's comment that  Thucydides has Pericles saying,
"[W]e do not say that the person who takes no interest in politics
minds his own business;  we say he has no business here at all." I
wonder how many slaves Pericles owned in order to lead the lifestyle
that he did. If the poor guy had been faced with the sort of work
deadlines which are routine for the late 1990s, and had to help Mrs
Pericles with the domestic chores, not to mention having to do his
emails everyt morning) perhaps those contraints would have cramped his
political life a little.

The reality probably is that some people are interested in politics,
and that interest colours/influences their views of live, and helps
define what part of human activity they see as being political.
Personally, I trained as an engineer, a profession not renowned for
its political zeal or activity, and many of whose practioners would
see only a limited part of their life as being political. Certainly if
you see me on an airliner or train with "my nose in a book" that book
it more likely to be Marc James Small than Thucydides!

Regards,

Doug Richardson