Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon Coolscan and VueScan 1.4 imaging software
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 07:19:11 +0200

Hi Chandos,

I am curious--what were the problems you had in scanning Tri-X negatives on
the Nikon? I just scanned a couple of Delta 400 negatives on my newly acquired
LS2000 and the results are very good. However, the most dramatic improvement
over the HP scanner that I used before came when I scanned a
slide--incredible.

Does the VueScan 1.4 replace the Nikon Scan software, and does it provide the
same functionality (i.e. preview, thumbnails and all the controls)?

Nathan

Chandos Michael Brown wrote:

> I followed with considerable interest the discussion a week or so ago
> regarding the merit of SilverFast's image scanning software for the Nikon
> LS 30/2000.  I've not had very great success in scanning Tri-X with the
> Nikon scan package and, until I read the comments of actual users, was
> prepared to plump for the SilverFast.  I'd used the demo program, which
> seemed to offer a substantial margin of improvement in scanning b&w
> emulsions.  I decided against it.
>
> I picked up a reference to Hamrick's VueScan 1.4 in one of the
> nerwsgroups.  He's written a new set of drivers for the Nikon and offers a
> demo on his website (http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html).  I've used it for a
> day or so, have been very impressed by its capabilities, and decided that
> for the whopping sum of $40 US, I'm not going to kvetch about a somewhat
> clumsy interface with PhotoShop, though I'm not certain that I've figured
> out whether this is some fault of my configuration.
>
> In the event, I've done some amazing things with a couple TriX negs I shot
> in Italy over twenty years ago.  The combination of the Nikon LS 2000,
> VueScan, PhotoShop and a PhotoStylus 700 is now producing b&w stuff that I
> don't believe I could achieve with 35mm negs in a chemical darkroom: ever.
>
> I highly recommend VueScan on the basis of its b&w performance.  I've been
> having so much fun that I haven't yet scanned a transparency with it.
>
> As always, these images will find their way to my website.
>
> Chandos
>
> Chandos Michael Brown
> Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
> College of William and Mary
>
> http:www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown

- --
Nathan Wajsman