Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Compulsive political message posting
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 20:12:05 -0500 (CDT)

Well, maybe not FS or WTB or 'fridays', but maybe I can make
my compulsive political ranting (not my words) "conform"....to
the charter of the reflector.  Now in the past, I've produced
a number of posts regarding the quality of Leica, and repair
of same.  While these topics are more my 'style', my experience
is very dated, in that I left the repair business approximately
the year the M4P came out (and the F3, shortly before).  I will
not try to establish my credentials in same, as nearly 20 years
have gone by.  Suffice it to say that several Texas Leica
photographers still have to be run away from my house each year
as I don't want to or feel comfortable working on cameras any
longer...it's something you MUST do daily to keep 'chops' up...

However, I currently (eight years) work in the field of photographic
education as a full time lab supervisor and a part time instructor.
Our department is self-defined as a fine-art photography program. This
was defined before my employment.

I have made the assertion that Leicaphiles were self obsessed with
gear and status, and received flack for same (welcome).  I'm now going
to assert that if politics is not central to your photography, then
you ARE NOT a contemporary fine art photographer.  In addition, you
have NO knowledge of ANY contemporary trends in academic/fine-art
photography.  Fine art photography today is not landscapes.  It is
not equipment and process.  In fact, most schools of fine art
photography either severly lack photographic knowledge or choose
not to address it to any significant degree.  It is possible to
obtain a degree from MOST programs and not know what BRAND of camera
you use nor what lenses you own...this I live with every day.

I am fortunate to (finally) work with a couple of instructors who
are technically proficient.  They are in the minority today, AND
I'm glad we have them.  They still try to impress PHOTOGRAPHIC
knowledge and processes on the student, often with much frustration.
However, in order to maintain 'credibility', they, too have had
to 'address' political issues more and photography less.  Fine art
photography today requires intense emphasis on 'concept' and 'issues'
to be taken seriously, to the detriment of education about
equipment and 'process'.   I'll assure you, today's photo student
that RECOGNIZES a Leica M is a rare bird.  All, however, can 'discuss'
relavent 'social' issues and 'imagery' till you can't take it any
more.  But don't ask them to name TWO film developers.  (one would
be the one they use, and quite a few would fail to name THAT one.)

Today's fine art photography is "issue" and "concept" based....
Post-Modernism, taken to the extreme, can even exclude the photographer
DOING any photography.   "Appropriated" imagery (stolen digitally or
by cut-and-paste) is a valid approach, as is 'hiring' a photographer
to 'execute' your concept, and to handle the 'technical' side of the
'art'.  Such "artists-who-utilize-photography" are held in MUCH higher
esteem than you 'technicians'.  Trust me, I'm one of you....this is
MY reality.  Oh, they concede that ol' Walt is a pretty good, if
somewhat 'simple-minded' technician, but they exist on a 'higher'
plane.  Walt, who is great at a party, doesn't really "understand",
ya know......

I must re-state that FINALLY, I've the privilege to share the company
of two instructors who DO value technique and knowledge, and I'm
forever grateful (my reviews and to a lesser degree income have
greatly benefitted also, of course!)

While my journalism background is as dated as my camera repair,
my friends/contacts are fighting the same battle....out with
"photography", in with what's "hot".....

I'll summarize by saying that if "politics" or "political
correctness" haven't influenced/affected your photographic
career, then you ain't got one!!!.....of course, portrait/wedding
etc. may be unaffected, but that's not the forte' of Leica,
anyway....

Jim, does this get us back into the "photo" or "Leica" groove?

Best to all,
Walt

On
Tue, 6