Subject: Re: [Leica] Capa and the Wide Angle Lens
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 11:06:03 -0400

Erich-
You have struck upon the major chord that many of us doing photofinishing
know- get closer!
Unfortunately, people either get too close with a P&S getting the subject
out of focus, cutting off part of their anatomy (people with truncated
craniums are real common!) and blowing out all possible detail with a too
bright flash, or they stacd back about 50 feet and shoot the subjects, and
want to know if they will loose detail if they blow up the center of the
frame!
Unbeknownst to many, the scanners in a photofinishing printer consist of a
CCD and a computer program that can usually detect the image of a head, and
help give the proper exposure. Unfortunately, if the image is too small, or
horribly overexposed, the image is outside of the range of the scanner, and
you usually have to do a 're-do' on those images if you can't eyeball a
correction beforehand.
Most of our "Picture of the Month" winners are those few that are composed
with the face or faces filling at least 50% of the frame, landscapes not
withstanding.
Dan