Subject: Re: [Leica] Compulsive political message posting
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 10:28:54 -0200

At 08:33 PM 05/04/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Irrelevant?  Sheesh.  Cameras are, ultimately, irrelevant, as are cars and
>military history and most of those other things we spend a lot of time
>worrying about on the Net.  But politics, while it really doesn't belong on
>the LUG, is hardly "irrelevant".

>Marc

        Right on, Marc!

With the possible exception of photographing my wife and daughter, every
time I pick up a camera it is a political act.  I became a photographer
because of politics and I photograph the things I do because of personal
political beliefs.

The simple act of documenting someone elses life is a political act because
by drawing attention to the "human condition" you, by default, make a
statement about how the human condition came into being. In veritably, the
path will lead to SOMEONE'S politics.

Life is politics, cameras are political tools, pictures are political
statements....

...now I have to dig my truck out of the 75cm of snow that we got hammered
with last night.  Which is a political act because the city plows were off
road last night and failed to provide a government service!

Greg Locke                           E-Mail: locke@picturedesk.org
St. John's, Newfoundland             http://www.straylight.ca/locke
(Newfoundlanders... a people who voted themselves out of existence)

- --------------------- PictureDesk International -------------------
Available at PRESSLINK ONLINE           http://www.presslink.com